Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sweet and Sour Sausage (my way.)

Okay, I told y'all I was trying a new recipe last night. IT WAS EPIC. Awesome good. I'm eating the leftovers right now. Still awesome good. Here's the recipe


Sweet and Sour Sausage, Sarcasmom style.

(I found the original recipe on Eckrich.com, and improvised a little with what I had on hand.)

1 14oz package of Eckrich Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices

white rice (this is what I served it over, you could also use egg noodles.) cook as many servings as needed per your family, following the box directions.

1 20oz can of pineapple chunks, undrained

1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar (i used a little more. I like mine a little on the sweeter side.)

2 tablespoons cornstarch (I used flour, because I couldn't find my cornstarch. Worked just fine.)

1/4 cup white vinegar (could also use white wine vinegar. I didn't use quite 1/4 cup.....again, like it sweeter.)

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 to 2 medium sized peppers, chopped. ( I used a trio package from walmart, had red, orange and yellow in it, because I like color in my food.)

Now, you could also add in carrots, or mushrooms, or whatever veggie you want. I stuck with this, because my 11 year old is a picky eater.


Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
Drain pineapple juice into a large bowl, and add brown sugar, making sure it's mixed well, and there's not little chunks of sugary goodness left. add cornstarch or flour, stirring well, then toss in the vinegar and soy sauce. Set this aside for now.

In a large saucepan, heat your sausage slices and whatever veggies you have chosen to add, for about 6 minutes or until the veggies are slightly cooked. I like mine a little on the crispy side. DON'T BURN THE SAUSAGE.

Add the sauce to the saucepan (this is why you need a big pan. learn from my mistakes, people.) and cook on medium heat until the sauce thickens and bubbles. Stir this ALOT or it will start sticking to the pan, and burn. Throw in the pineapple chunks when sauce is thick, THIS WILL THIN OUT YOUR SAUCE AGAIN. heat for about 10 minutes on medium low, stirring almost constantly, until the sauce gets back to the consistency you desire.


Serve over rice.

FREAKING DELICIOUS FOR 25 MINUTES. 

No comments:

Post a Comment